Are you tired of people telling you that you look tired because of the bags under your eyes?
Many people have dark circles and bags under their eyes, which can make them look tired, angry, older, and even unhealthy.
Many different factors can contribute to this appearance, including aging, genetics, lack of sleep, fatigue, poor diet, dehydration, sun exposure, and allergens.
Anatomically, bags under eyes occur because:
- The skin becomes thinner and loses collagen, and sometimes can be swollen as well
- The eyelid muscles become weaker
- The lower eyelid fat pockets may become more prominent
- Some patients also have volume loss at the junction of the lower eyelid and cheeks, also known as the tear trough region, creating a hollow appearance accentuating the baggy appearance above
What are the treatment options for bags under eyes?
Fortunately, there are many options to minimize the appearance of dark circles and bags under eyes and to restore a more rested and youthful appearance.
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure that can be customized according to the needs and anatomy of each patient, and may include a combination of:
- repositioning or removal of lower eyelid fat pockets through an incision on the back of the eyelid without visible skin incisions
- removal of excessive skin through very delicate and meticulously hidden skin incision
- Autologous fat transfer can often be performed along with lower eyelid blepharoplasty to help recontour the lower lids and upper cheeks and address any volume loss.
- Non-surgical skin resurfacing by laser or chemical peel can help reduce fine wrinkles on the lower eyelid skin, and can be performed alone or in conjunction with the above surgical procedures
- Facial fillers injected to the lower eyelids and/or cheeks can be a non-surgical alternative to volumize the lower eyelids without surgery but may not be the right solution for every patient
Which Treatment Option Is Best for You?
At your comprehensive one-on-one consultation, Dr. Shannon S. Joseph and Dr. Andrew W. Joseph will take time and listen to your concerns and what you are hoping to achieve. After performing a comprehensive evaluation, our surgeons will then discuss in detail with you the various options above and work with you to design the most suitable treatment plan specifically tailored to you.
We take care of patients from Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Rochester Hills, Rochester, and the rest of Metro Detroit and Southeastern Michigan. We are here to help you look and feel more refreshed and youthful. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!