Treatments for the Aging Face
Do you want to turn back the clock or stop the clock on your aging face? You are not alone. Many patients come to us looking for ways to age gracefully, reverse the changes of aging and keep looking young and healthy.
What are the changes seen in the aging face?
As we get older, our skin loses collagen and elasticity, become thin and begin to stretch. This can cause the development of excessive skin, especially around the upper and lower eyelids. Chronic sun exposure, diet choices, and genetics also play a role in changes in skin quality.
With time and gravity, the soft fatty tissues around the face shrink and sag, which can cause changes such as eyebrow drooping, cheek drooping, hollowness under the eyes and the development of lower eyelid bags and nasolabial folds (the deep lines that extend from the corner of the nose to the mouth). Loss of bony volume and density with age further leads to changes in facial shape.
Years of facial expressions and muscle movements such as smiling, frowning, and raising the eyebrows will also lead to the formation of both fine and deep wrinkles around the face.
What treatment options are there to help you be proactive about aging?
There are a variety of treatment options to help you age gracefully and keep you looking your best. Click on each link below to learn more:
- Botox is a great option for both reducing and preventing the development of wrinkles around the face. When injected properly, Botox injection can reduce the strength of the muscles of expression while still allowing them to move with normal facial expressions. This can be a great option especially for wrinkle reduction and prevention on the outer corner of the eyes (crow’s feet with smiling), between the eyebrows (frown lines), and on the forehead (with raising of the eyebrows).
- Facelift is an excellent option for patients hoping to achieve meaningful results with an outpatient procedure. The facelift approach is customized to the individual patient, but results will typically provide a naturally refreshed appearance for years to come.
- Facial fillers can successfully rebuild volume to various facial areas (e.g. around the eyes, tear troughs, nasolabial folds, areas around the mouth) and restore a more youthful appearance. The anatomy around the eyes is particularly complex and filler injection in these regions can be challenging if not performed properly. Our surgeons are highly specialized in treating the eyes and uses the types of fillers and nuanced injection techniques specifically suited for the areas around the eyes.
- Fat transfer, also known as autologous fat grafting or fat transplantation, uses a patient’s own fat from areas such as the abdomen or thigh to volumize and contour deflated areas of the aging face. This procedure can be performed alone or in conjunction with other surgical procedures such as upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty to restore a youth appearance around the eyes in a harmonious manner and deliver remarkable results.
- Non-surgical eyelid lift can be performed using chemical peel of laser resurfacing to help tighten the skin around the eyes and face. This can help improve fine wrinkles, giving the skin a rejuvenated and brighter appearance.
- Sometimes the aging changes may not be sufficiently addressed by the measures above. In these situations, surgical options such as upper eyelid blepharoplasty for droopy upper eyelids, lower eyelid blepharoplasty for bags under eyes, or eyebrow and forehead lift for droopy eyebrows, may be great options for you in delivering stunning and naturally beautiful results.
Schedule a consultation
At your consultation, Dr. Shannon S. Joseph and Dr. Andrew W. Joseph will take the time to listen to your goals, perform a comprehensive evaluation, and work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan best suited for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation! We take care of patients from Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Rochester Hills, Rochester, and the rest of Metro Detroit and Southeastern Michigan. We will work with you every step of the way to help you look and feel your best.